Saturday, October 15, 2011

Halloween on a Budget

I love to decorate for the holidays, but I certainly don't have piles of money laying around. And while I literally have TUBS full of Christmas decor, I only had a few small Halloween pieces, most of them from my childhood.   I really want to make our house special for the kids. I want them to remember the holidays and think to themselves "Gosh, my mom made our house look awesome!" OK - well maybe just remember the holidays. But I secretly want our house to look awesome.  I was able to put together a few inexpensive Halloween decorations that made our house feel a little more festive.

A spooky raven makes a nice addition to our mantle. Cost $0.00. Using a frame I already had, I whipped up a little graphic in photoshop and printed it out and framed it.

Subway Art is everywhere now. I love the simplicity of it and it can be customized for any holiday! Cost: $4.99 for a bag of mini pumpkins.  I created the Halloween word art in photoshop and printed as an 8x10 and used a frame I already had. The witch is one of my few decorations I already had.

Want a super simple craft to do with the kids?  These Spooky jars are easy and cheap and oh-so-cute!

The materials needed:
Empty Mason Jars
Acrylic Paint
Paint Brushes
And a couple of cute helpers!





Have your cute helpers paint the inside of the jars with the acrylic paint. I used a sharpie to draw faces on the outside of the jars.

Put a LED tealight candle inside and watch them glow!

Total Cost:
Jars: $0.83 each
Paint: $0.59 (on sale!)
Sharpie - free
tealight candle  - set of 12 for $9.62 on Amazon.com

Less than $2.00 each!


Our tops are still drying, but I painted them to match the jars. 

And just because I like to share, here are the two Halloween prints FREE to download and print off yourself. Just click below to download.



5x7 Spooky Crow Print


8x10 Halloween Subway Art

0 comments:

Post a Comment